DD’s birthday was the 11th but we are celebrating tomorrow. I wish I would have made her cake myself. The problem was the baking so I asked X if he could stop at walmart and get a plain white frosted cake. Instead he said his GF wanted to bake the cake. I didn’t want her to bake the cake. I didn’t want to be dependent on her baking skills (what if it came out uneven etc). I also wanted to do something MYSELF–something I could say I did without his GF being the center of attention as usual. After talking with a friend I decided to just ahead and have it made. It wasn’t that much more than if had bought the cake and decorated it myself. Everyone raved about this cake maker. She was raised here in K town and now has her own shop in G town. I know now the reason she was raved about–is not for quality–but because everyone knows her. So based on recommendations I had conversations with her via FB.
First here is the link I sent her: (please click on the link–you don’t need to read it all but at least look at the ALL the pictures so you can see the problem with DD’s cake.)
It is actually an extremely easy cake to make. It is a little bit time consuming but nothing major at all about it.
Here is what I said after I sent the link: (So mind you–I wrote down some of the directions myself and also sent her link with FULL directions)
I was wondering if you could make this cake for my daughter –would need it by Nov 14th. Would like M&M’s instead. I think it is fairly easy to make. You need a dowel in the center of the cake and use melting candy chocolates to glue M&M’s to dowel. The part that is on the cake–use the melting chocolate to cover white spots. I can provide the M&M’s because you will need the bag. The stand up bag needs Marshmallows inside to fluff it out. I have a cake plate. I can provide the dowel as well. Would like to say happy 11th birthday Autumn on white part of cake. Was wondering how much this would cost.
She wrote: Hi. Thank you for the inquiry and directions! I am sure I can make this. How many servings are you needing? I can make it in a small size for 8-10 servings for $25, next size is about 16+ servings for $35. If you need anything bigger I can quote you that also.
You can she thanked me for the directions–which I’m not sure why since she followed NOTHING on them. The rest of conversation was about cake flavors, when I needed the cake etc.
I wrote her yesterday and she said the cake was ready. I asked for a picture. Here was the picture:
Do you see the problem? The “glued” M&M’s on the “dowel” are equally proportioned from top all the way down to the cake. It should have started with a little M&M’s at the top and gradually flared out until reaching the cake–that is what gives it the pouring affect. When I saw the pic I was so disappointed. It looks like someone took a tube with M&M’s and just stuck it straight into the cake with an empty bag on top. I tried to explain to her several times what the problem was with the cake. It was like she was dumb. Here is what she kept saying, “It does do that. The picture just isn’t very good.” So I told her to just add some M&M’s to the part where the “dowel” and cake meet so it is more flared out. Here is the conversation that took place about the writing: “I can write that yes. I didn’t know you wanted that on there. I will do it right now.” Hmmm……really? Cuz all she had to do was scroll up a few messages and I clearly asked her to write that. Another annoying thing is that is suppose to be a PROFESSIONAL. How can I see the issue and not her.
Here is what I received:
Here are the problems:
- First–now the “dowel” makes sense of why it looked like a tube pushed vertically into a cake–cuz that is exactly what it was. What should have been a 1/4″ WOODEN dowel ended up being probably an inch wide plastic tube.
- I’m not sure what the fuck she used for “glue” but it was NOT melting chocolates like instructed. The white “glue” stands out horrible and didn’t do a good job of keeping the M&M’s stuck to the tube. The white “glue” also left a white powder on the M&M’s.
- Remember–I had brought up widening the base where the tube meets the cake. Lastly I told her to add the writing on the cake that should have been there. INSTEAD she must have put the writing on the cake and THEN widened the base because some of the letters are basically covered up.
- I’m reading the cake as, “Happy Birthday 11th Autumn.” Am I stupid? Or is that actually how it reads? Also–WHY didn’t she put the writing out further out like on the edge.
- The M&M bag was SUPPOSE to be the stand up bag kind because they resealable like a ziploc bag. The bag should have been stuffed with Marshmallows but she used paper towels–which is fine I guess. However the entire bag is open instead of just a small opening–once again affecting how the “pouring” looks. I’m going to fix that with some double sided tape but FFS–I should have to fix this.
- The M&M’s on the sides of the cake should have had layers on them to cover the white spots of frosting–that wasn’t done at all.
I’m NOT a professional cake maker but I can GUARANTEE I could have done a much better job than this. I’m thinking about asking for a refund. Opinions please.
UPDATE: All the M&M’s are now turning WHITE and weird. My camera for some fucking reason absolutely REFUSES to focus on M&M’s. It is NOT from the refrigerator because I was JUST putting into the refrigerator.
So………..I didn’t wait for nun-ya’s opinions LOL. I wrote the cake lady and listed out all my complaints. She said she used melting chocolates to “glue” the M&M’s and when I asked her what the white “glue” was–she didn’t answer. She told me the cake would read right if the “dowel” wasn’t in the way—-when actually the opposite is true—had there been something in between –it would have read down and then up. She said there wasn’t enough room to write once the M&M’s were on the cake–clearly there was plenty of room. She did agree that it was missing M&M’s–although she said it didn’t look that way when it left the cake place. Anyways–right up front she offered a full refund. I told her half would be fine because in all fairness, it is too late to try to fix it or get another cake etc. So we are going to eat the cake. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the inside of the cake tastes better than the outside looks LOL. She didn’t want to give me partial refund–she insisted full refund even though we are going to eat it. I thought that was nice. So that is that.